Skip to main content

Remembrance Day 2020

This year for Remembrance day we learned about how Girl Guides contributed to the war effort, and we made poppies. The Dad of one of our Brownies is in the Army, so he came and spoke briefly about what he does and why he joined the Army. For some of the Brownies this was their first time seeing a soldier in "real life" (through a computer screen), and I think it helped them better understand what remembrance day is all about.

Next we moved on to what Girl Guides did during the wars. I showed them some pictures of Girl Guides doing first aid, handing out clothing to displaced families, making supplies for soldiers, and acting as messengers. I took the photos from this blog post and put them into a slideshow: https://owl-and-toadstool.blogspot.com/search?q=remembrance+day. When we were looking at the photo of the air ambulance I asked the Brownies how much they thought an airplane costs, and one of them said "Probably a lot, like twenty dollars!".

Finally we moved on to our craft. My co-Guider came up with the idea to make poppies out of yarn and pop tabs, since we already have a lot of those and wouldn't need to buy anything (she delivered packages of supplies before the meeting). This is what we made:

Red poppy with a black center made from pop tabs, yarn, and a black pipe cleaner.Red poppy with a green center made from pop tabs, yarn, and a green pipe cleaner.

I don't really have any instructions to link to, but basically what you do is you wrap (or knot) the yarn around each pop tab, and then secure them together with pipe cleaners. I knotted the yarn on mine, but a lot of the Brownies chose just to wrap theirs. This is definitely a craft that they start at the meeting and then take home to work on later, as even I did not finish it during our meeting. One tip I have is to wrap tape around the end of the yarn, as it started to fray and get fuzzy after going through the holes of the pop tab a few times.

that's all for this week! I'm planning next week's meeting so I should really get started on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Spark/Ember activity sheets

 Hi everyone! I'm back with another activity sheet for Sparks and Embers. This would be a great activity when preparing for enrollment, or learning about your branch.  I'm a Spark! activity sheet Je suis une Spark! activity sheet I'm an Ember! activity sheet Je suis une Ember! activity sheet

Girl Guide Colouring Pages

 Here are some colouring pages that I made based on the new GGC clipart. There are four different designs, all in one file for easy downloading.  GGC Colouring Pages Disclaimer: The images that these are based off are owned by Girl Guides of Canada, I just traced them to turn them into colouring pages for personal/Unit use.

Promise Posters

 With Brownies being renamed to Embers, I anticipate that a lot of Ember Units will be looking for new resources with the new promise, law, and branch name. I've made these promise posters, which would make a great aid for teaching the promise, law and motto. I made one for each branch, in English and French. The font size is quite large, so they can be printed as a full page, or multiple per page to be a more convenient size. Spark Promise Poster: English French Ember Promise Poster: English French Guide Promise Poster: English French Pathfinder Promise Poster: English French   Ranger Promise Poster: English French Girl Guide Promise Poster: English French